Procedures for Obtaining a City of Charles Town Business License
1. Obtain a City of Charles Town Business License Application. The application can be downloaded from the link below, picked up in person or received via email or fax by calling 304‐724‐3247.
2. You must present a copy of your West Virginia Business Registration Certificate with the application. The Business Registration Certificate can be obtained by contacting the West Virginia Department of Tax & Revenue 1‐800‐982‐8297 or by visiting the website www.business4wv.com; for more general information on the West Virginia Business Registration Certificate, please visit https://tax.wv.gov/Business/BusinessRegistration/Pages/BusinessRegistration.aspx.
3. If you are a contractor, you must present a copy of your West Virginia State Contractors License with the application. This can be obtained by contacting the West Virginia State Contractors Licensing Board at 304‐558‐7890 ext. 10473 or by visiting the website www.wvlabor.com. If you do not present a copy of your state license, you will be considered a handyman and restricted to doing work totaling $2,500.00 or less per job. General Contractors, be advised that Sub‐Contractors are also required to obtain a City Business License.
4. If your business involves selling food, you must present a copy of your Jefferson County Health Department Inspection Report and Health permit with the application. This can be obtained by contacting the Jefferson County Health Department at 304‐728‐8416 or visiting the website www.jchealthdept.org.
5. If your business involves selling alcohol, you must present a copy of your West Virginia State ABCA License with your application. This can be obtained by contacting the West Virginia State Alcohol Beverage Control Administration at 304‐356‐5500 or toll free 1‐800‐642‐8208. Or you can visit the website www.abca.wv.gov.
6. If your business involves child care services (daycare), you must present a copy of your West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources permit. This can be obtained by contacting the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources at 304‐724‐2600 or visiting the website www.dhhr.wv.gov.
7. Present the application in person with all supporting documentation and payment to City of Charles Town located at 101 E. Washington Street, Charles Town, WV or mail to P.O. Box 14 Charles Town, WV 25414. If this application is for a new business located in Charles Town, you must also file a ZONING USE PERMIT APPLICATION with the Planning & Zoning Department. The Business License will not be issued until the Zoning Certificate is issued and provided to the Licensing Department.
8. Any business that obtains a City of Charles Town license, is subject to pay Business & Occupation taxes unless it is formed as a non‐profit entity or is tax exempt (See City Codified Ordinance).
Forms and Documents
*** DO NOT USE THE BUSINESS LICENSE APPLICATION AS A MEANS TO RENEW AN ACTIVELY LICENSED BUSINESS. FOR ASSISTANCE RENEWING YOUR LICENSE, PLEASE CALL 304-725-2311 OR EMAIL BUSINESSLICENSE@CHARLESTOWNWV.US ***