The city’s building inspection and code compliance division is responsible for processing building permits and regulating compliance with existing property maintenance codes. More specifically, the division:
- processes permit applications
- reviews all building plans to ensure compliance with the building code
- inspects buildings under construction to ensure that they comply with the building codes
- issues Certificates of Occupancy
- reviews code compliance for residential and commercial properties, including property ordinance violations
- maintains the Vacant Structures Registry Program
The Building Inspection Office is dedicated to the service of the community by ensuring that the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens are addressed through its responsibilities in the administration and enforcement of all adopted building and construction codes of the City of Charles Town. In its commitment to excellence in community growth and development, the Building Inspection Office strives to afford an efficient and responsive environment by providing consistent, organized, and courteous service to the public.
The Code Compliance Office works diligently to improve the quality of life in Charles Town through the proactive enforcement of laws and codes, such as the Property Maintenance Code, Charles Town Codified Code, and other land development standards. Important to its effort is the city’s goal of making Charles Town a desirable place to live and work as well as a memorable place for tourists to visit. If you have concerns or suggestions that can help improve your neighborhood or community, please let us know.
What requires a Building Permit?
Properties within the city limits of Charles Town are required to obtain Building Permits for:
|– New Construction||– HVAC Systems|
|– Additions||– Furnaces|
|– Remodels, including Basement Finishes||– Water Heaters|
|– Roofing and Siding||– Propane Tanks|
|– Decks and Porches||– Driveways|
|– Fences||– Sidewalks|
|– Accessory Structures and Sheds||– Radon Mitigation|
|– Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs||– Plumbing|
You can apply for a permit in person at City Hall at 101 E. Washington Street or online at MGO-MyGovernmentOnline by clicking below. To apply online, go to “Permits & Licensing” and select “Apply Online”. First time users will need to create an account.
For more information contact the Department of Community Development at 304-724-3248.
Forms and Applications
Other Building Code Information
- Building – Int’l Building Code 2015
- Building – Int’l Residential Code 2015
- Fire – NFPA 101 2015
- Mechanical – Int’l Mechanical Code 2015
- Plumbing – Int’l Plumbing Code 2015
- Residential Energy – Int’l Energy Conservation Code 2009
- Commercial Energy – ANSI 90.1.10
- Fuel Gas – Int’l Fuel Gas Code 2015
- Electrical – NEC 2014
- Accessibility – IBC 2015
- Handicap – ANSI 2009
- Pool – ISPC Int’l Swimming Pool & Spa Code 2015