The City’s maintenance department is responsible for maintaining City owned buildings and facilities, streets and right of ways, parks & recreation facilities, and other public property public property. The maintenance department team members work with all city departments to help facilitate departmental needs and to maintain operational readiness for the community.
The objectives of the City’s Maintenance Department are met each day by a dedicated team of staff members who are ready to serve 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you see these friendly faces in the community, don’t hesitate to say hello.
Maintenance Supervisor – Jim Wysong
Maintenance Team Member – Perry Staubs
Maintenance Team Member – Kyle French
Bulk Leaf Collection
From October through mid-January the City offers bulk leaf collection. All residents can participate in the program. Leaves should be raked into bulk piles at the curb line of the nearest public street. Collection routes and schedules are dependent on the volume of leaves out for collection in a given area of the community. Maintenance staff makes an effort to collect at a minimum of twice weekly in all parts of the community. Leaf piles should be clean and free of all other debris or trash. Failure to comply with this policy could result in leaves not being collected.
Christmas Tree Collection & Disposal
Fresh cut Christmas trees can be put out for collection by any City resident throughout the month of January. Trees should be cleaned of all decorations and free of any other debris. Cleaned trees should be placed on the curb next to any other yard waste. Collection will occur weekly on Wednesdays with the standard yard waste collection and may be picked up on other days depending on volume and weather. Collected trees are will be recycled and ground into mulch by the City’s yard waste contractor.
Ongoing Programs & Services
Yard Waste Program
The City offers weekly yard waste pickup and disposal for all residents of the community. The following are the program guidelines.
- Yard waste is picked up weekly on Wednesday.
- Yard waste must be placed curbside not more than 24 hours prior to 6AM on pickup day in accordance with Article 771 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Charles Town. Brush and limbs must be of manageable length and weight.
- Leaves and grass clippings must be placed in compostable paper yard waste bags with stickers. The waste removal stickers can be purchased at city hall for $1 per sticker. Each bag must have a sticker.
- The city only vacuums bulk leaves from October (depending on leaf-drop) until January 15 and as part of a one week Fall Cleanup Program.
- The city does not accept dirt, building material or plastic bags. Tree removal, site cleanup, limbs and brush from clearing lots or major pruning must be done by private contractors. Quantities larger than a pickup load may be charged an additional fee in accordance with Article 771 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Charles Town.
- To participate in the City’s Yard Waste Removal Program the following requirements must be met:
- The address must have current trash service in accordance with Article 951.01 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Charles Town.
- Leaves and clippings must be properly bagged and stickered in accordance with Article 771.06 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Charles Town as outlined above.
Most street lights in the City of Charles Town are owned and maintained by Potomac Edison. If you have an issue with a streetlight the quickest method toward resolving the issue is to report the outage directly to Potomac Edison using their online reporting tool or by calling them at 1-888-544-4877
Additional information and any questions about the city’s public maintenance services, can be directed to City Hall at (304) 725-2311 or emailed to email@example.com